Frequently Asked Questions
If you don’t see the answer to your question, please feel free to get in touch with us.
HOW CAN I BE REFERRED TO TRUE COLOURS?
Referrals can be made via your Health Care professional (such as Paediatrician, nurse or GP) or you may self refer via our referral form. If you are unsure if True Colours is the appropriate service for you, please feel free to get in touch to discuss.
WHO DO YOU SUPPORT?
True Colours supports:
- Children 0-18 years who have a serious health condition and their families
- Expectant parents who have received a diagnosis for their unborn child
- Bereaved parents who have had a child die due to a serious health condition or stillbirth
HOW MUCH DOES YOUR SERVICE COST?
True Colours provides a free service.
WHAT REGION DO YOU COVER?
We cover the wider Waikato region (in alignment with the Waikato DHB catchment area). This includes as far north as Meremere, the Coromandel, and south to Taumarunui.
WHAT AGES DO YOU SUPPORT?
Support is available to children from the age of 0-18 years of age.
HOW LONG IS SUPPORT PROVIDED FOR?
Each family has unique needs, therefore support is determined on what is happening for each family. There are no set amount of counselling sessions, and there are regular reviews of how the support is going for the family. Support is provided for as long is required. You are also welcome to reengage with us after you have been discharged from our service.
DO YOU HAVE A WAITLIST?
True Colours prides itself on responding quickly to new referrals. We do not have a waitlist as we understand that when people reach out for help is normally when they need it.
WHAT SUPPORT DO YOU PROVIDE?
- We provide counselling support to children, young people and their parents.
- We use a range of creative therapies for children including play, art and music.
- We liaise with medical professionals ensuring there is a continuum of care.
- We advocate for families and children to ensure their voice is heard.
IS THE SUPPORT AVAILABLE ONLY FOR THE CHILD WITH THE HEALTH CONDITION?
We provide support to the whole family, understanding that serious illness has an impact on everyone involved, not just the child with the health condition.
WHERE DO YOU PROVIDE SUPPORT?
We aim to make our service accessible as possible. Support can be provided at True Colours House in Hamilton, home or hospital visits, or via phone or video.
HOW IS TRUE COLOURS FUNDED?
True Colours is a community funded organisation relying on the generosity of individuals, business and community funders.